Friday, May 2, 2014

Listen Carefully

The Holy One calls to me this morning. The flesh is hard pressed to answer His call, as infirmity has hit my household.  His words to me naturally flow out of the love of the Healer, so I look for my Bible to read His reminder.

The Spirit takes me to Exodus 15:26 B, "I will not bring upon you any of the diseases I brought upon the Egyptians, for I am the Lord Who heals you".  I know all of God's promises are mine so this verse that the Lord is our Healer is a sweet comfort as we wait for the "symptoms" of the infirmity to pass.

With the issue of healing resolved, in that the Healer will heal, I know there is a lesson to be found in the Word He has taken me to this morning.  I look back at Exodus 15:26 for perhaps a deeper lesson from the Teacher.

Ex 15:26, "If you listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His eyes; if you pay attention to His commands and keep all His decrees, I will not bring upon you all the diseases I brought upon the Egyptians for I am the Lord Who heals you."

Since Passover, I have been seeing the symbolism of the "yeast" that is like sin, and was to be located and removed from the household before the great Exodus out of the Land of Egypt.  Yeast is a symbol of sin, and corruption. Sin can be hidden in the folds of our flesh unless it is searched out and removed, like the yeast from the house.

In the crazy world we live in, there are so many voices contending and competing for our attention.  There are a myriad of others dictating, opinionating and calling for our loyalty and obedience.   Everyone from politicians to clergymen are barking out orders and trying to gain a following that honors their lead.

But the word of the Lord is very clear:  "If you listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God".......  This scripture reveals much about the need for listening in relationship. 

Listening is an act of honoring.  Listening suggests an interest in what is being presented to our ears and an opportunity for impact extended to the One speaking. We can be open or closed to a relationship but listening to the one speaking is an indicator of our interest in that relationship.

It is vey telling to me, that these verses are written right before Ex 16 where God was to reveal His supernatural provisions for the entire nation. The manna and quail episode of Exodus 16, provided an opportunity to test their willingness to listen and obey the voice of the Lord. 

Rabble rousers surfaced; voices of defiance called out of the crowd and the people had to decide whose voice would get their attention and loyalty.

Is it any different in our world today. 

The voice of the Lord speaks: "Children are a gift and blessing from God.  Honor life".  The voice of the rabble rousers speak: "Children are an inconvenience and a burden.  Abort them while you can".

The voice of the Lord speaks: "If anyone takes the life of a human being, he must be put to death".  The voice of the rabble rousers speak:  "There is no good served in society by the death penalty for murder.  It is cruel and unusual punishment and must be eliminated."

The list goes on; situation after situation.  Some commands are easier than others to accept, but all must be honored as God's Word and His Will.  Rejecting God's Word as ultimate authority on any subject, causes infection in our lives.  The voice of the Lord is replaced by situational ethics.  The opinions of man outweigh the commands of the Sovereign and we end up sick;  sick in our minds, sick in our hearts and sick in our bodies.

We can argue the point and say, "but what is one voice against so many?  What is one life in a sea of millions?  To ask that question means we have no connection to our Head and we are on the verge of a cave-in, because God does not tell us to make sure others "listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God."   We are simply but profoundly ultimately accountable for only 1 life and that is ours. 

As the rabble rousers speak against the Word and commands of our God, we do not have to agree or take part in their rebellion.

The Word says, "If you (individual) listen carefully to the voice of your (personal) God and do what is right in HIS eyes, If you (personally) pay attention to His commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring upon you the diseases I brought upon the Egyptians".

The point of the lesson this morning as I search out the yeast in the folds of my flesh is well taken.  As the world plays out the final days on God's prophetic calendar, I must choose to listen to the Voice of the Lord my God and obey His commands to me.

I may or may not be able to affect any change in someone else's thinking or fix societies mistakes,  but I must always stand in agreement with God's Word and His commands with ears listening to the Voice of  the Lord my God. and a will eager to obey it.

Trials, to me, are educational.  I am not a victim but a student in school.  I am thankful today that the Holy One pushed past the temporal infirmity to show me an important Spiritual Truth. 

As I am looking for the sin in the folds of my flesh, I start with my thoughts and realize I need the Holy One to search them.  Only He can truly identify the yeast that is hiding therein.

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?     

      

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...