Thursday, December 30, 2021

Jesus Sets The Captives Free


He Came to Set the Captives Free

Ten years ago, my husband of 31 years made his great escape.  Imprisoned in a decaying body, he made the cross over into eternity and out of the shackles that held him bound to this earth.  By the Lord’s grace alone I can celebrate his translation.  Rather than having a funeral to mark his departure, we had a going away party instead.  Since that day I have lost more of my Beloveds, but their situation is the same: Freedom from a decaying flesh body. 

Today as always, I am thankful for the eternity that Jesus our Savior provided through His death on the cross and the resurrection hope we have in Him alone.  I cherish the Word of our God that gave us (believers) a picture of our death-defying glorified bodies that we, who belong to Jesus, can take claim to after we depart the flesh shell on earth, that houses our immortal soul.

There is so much about the man that I miss but I would not wish him back to face the pain and decline of a physical body for anything in this world.   As most of humanity, he did not exit this life as a hero but rather a prisoner.  We are all prisoners in one form or another and that is why Jesus came:  To set the captives free.

Of course, there are various forms of prison for it is a written fact that Satan is the jail keeper here on earth.  He is after all the “prince of the power of the air” (the spirit realm that surrounds earth and its inhabitants.)  One person’s prison may be addiction; another may be cancer or some other body infirmity or incapacitation or disease.  

One may be the prison of a love-less marriage or the actual place of incarceration for breaking society’s laws.   Here on earth, there may be any number of situations that represent a prison, but Jesus came to set each and every one of us free.

Soon we will celebrate the day when God wrapped Himself in flesh to walk among His creation. His birth marked His invasion into our various prisons to set the captives free from the grip of a powerful adversary who hates us. He came to buy us back for himself having paid the price with His very own blood.  

Today I celebrate freedom from Satan’s grip.  We have been redeemed and bought with a price.  Because of Jesus we believers in the One True God, can experience deliverance from any and all the mental and emotional prisons we have been made to languish in.  Some of us may even experience deliverance and miraculous physical healing here on earth.   

The Lord Jesus came to deliver us and at the beginning of His short public ministry He spoke the words out of Isaiah 61:

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because the Lord has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and the opening of the prison to those who are bound.”

Over the course of my life, my Lord has released me from many prisons; like the prison of unforgiveness. Today I am thankful and look forward to spending eternity with the One who paid the ultimate price for my soul and has truly set me free.  And I look forward to sharing eternity with those who like, my temporal husband, (and others I have lost sight of here) are already there in His Presence….  

The Holy Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...