Monday, December 17, 2012

"Empty Handed"

The Holy One calls to me this morning.  It's early but the wonderful smell of the traditional pine tree is familiar and sends the message to my mind that this is, indeed, Christmas time in North Carolina.  .

Life goes on, the seasons continue and that is a good thing.  Sometimes we can think it cruel that the whole world doesn't stop when something in our personal world ends.  The fact that life does go on, and the sun continues to rise and set is a constant reminder to me that we were created for eternity.  Ours, as God's Beloved,  is a timeline that has no beginning and no end.  As surely as the winter comes, it will give way to spring.....again.....some...day.

The winter has it's own kind of splendor, a beauty to behold for the eye that is looking for it.  While the cold outside chills my bones, the picture of the Nativity warms my heart.  This is the time and season to celebrate the Birth of the King.

The Holy One and I have been having discussions about what gift I have to give to Jesus this year.  I confess that I have nothing to give that He hasn't already given to me.  But then, Holiness highlights for me a "gift" He has given to me that I can give back to my King.  The Holy One assures me that it is OK and that giving what has been given is different than being "empty handed".

I find myself wondering in the depths of my heart,  "But will my Lord use it?  Will He value His gift in me (that lies somewhat hidden) enough to use it?"

The Holy One takes me back to His Word,  I Corinth 12:7, "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit, there are different kinds of service but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working but the same God works all of them in all men.  Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good" .

My heart leaps for joy at the thought that my Lord just waits for me to give back to Him what He has given to me.  My Lord desires and is ready to use the gift He gave me to glorify Himself and for the common good. ( I.E. with benefit to others.)  I realize now, that He cannot use it fully, until and unless I give it back to Him. 

The Holy One makes it very clear, none of us have to come to the manger "empty handed".  We all have something to give back to the King.  A gift He desires to use if we would but bring it back to Him. 

What that gift might be from each one of us is personal and unique in it's manifestation.  Something we might describe as a "personality trait", a tendency toward something that is considered good, a talent being used for worldly gain.  Anyone of these might be the "gift" the King longs for you to give Him this year.  The scriptures identify many gifts the Lord would build up and develop in His people who are willing to bring to Him the least of what they think they have to offer.  A conference call to the Holy Spirit can bring great clarity to the subject.

This morning, I heard Him loud and clear.  I am prepared to give my gift to the King, knowing He will use it and I am so thankful to see that I do not have to come to the manger "empty handed".  None of us do.  What do you have to give to the King?

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?






    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...