Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Peter, Do You Love Me?

The Holy One calls to me this morning.  It's Christmas.  It's a day to celebrate.  It's a day to be so thankful.  Thankful that our God came, wrapped Himself in flesh, lived to show us the relationship He desires, died to save our souls and now is seated at the right hand of all Power and Authority.  Yes, indeed, there is so much to be thankful for.

The Holy One enters into my mental celebration.  His voice is soft and gentle, "Priceless one, do you love Me?  I know you are thankful and all, but do you love Me?"

I couldn' help but register the Lord's end of the conversation He had with Peter on the day He appeared to re-instate the one who failed Him in His darkest hours on earth. He simply asked, "Peter do you love Me?"  (John 20:15-17)  It's interesting how even the the slightest things can be overlooked until Holiness points them out.

I notice that Jesus didn't ask Peter if he felt thankful, He asked him, "Peter, do you love Me?"

He didn't ask Peter if he felt "obligated.  "Peter, do you love Me?"

He didn't ask Peter if he felt guilt-ridden, since that could have been a great leverage over Peter to push him into service.  "Peter, do you love Me?"

Peter got the point and now, so do I.  Jesus desires our lives to be lived, motivated and driven by our love for Him.  Thanksgiving is part of that expression of our love but that is also how we can get tweaked and twisted in the  motivation behind what we do. 

Obligation and guilt will not be enough when it comes to fulfilling our appointed tasks.  We can never begin to repay our Savior for what He has done for us, but in the quiet of this Christmas morning, I can reaffirm my love for Him.

As last year is winding down to close, and  the New Year is ready to unfold, I purpose in my heart of hearts to do what I do out of love for my Lord.  The Christmas message to me this morning comes from the heart of my Beloved.  The question He is asking must be answered from our hearts as well.   I believe He is asking each one of us, as He asked His beloved Disciple that day, "Peter, do you love Me?"

Our answer will precede our Heavenly assignment, and impact all we do.   My prayer this year is simple:

"Holy One, may everything I do, be done out of a pure sweet love for Jesus......"

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...