Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Storm

The Holy One calls to me this morning.  A huge thunderstorm rocked my world last night leaving me for hours without electical power.  But now in the quiet of the dawn, He beckons me into a brand new day. 

I think about Jesus and what it may have been like to walk and talk with Him like the Disciples did. I can only imagine the awe and wonder of watching the Creator of all move among His Creation.  The concept of Trinity is difficult to grasp, but then so is the principle of gravity to my unscientific mind.

The Holy One enters into my imagination and guides me to the place of the historical account of when Jesus was asleep in the boat while the storm was threatening to end all of their lives at sea.  The picture of Jesus, the Christ, asleep in the boat...the sea raging....and the Disciples falling apart is interesting to process in light of last night's storm.  (Matt 8:23-27)

It is a picture so many of us are living in today.  The storm is raging, the boat is rocking and the One we are called to trust and follow seems to be asleep.  We find ourselves crying out, "Oh God, wake up, wake up, wake up!  Can you not see I am about to perish?" 

How can this be?  The Creator of the storm is asleep in it?  Oh the mystery of our Sovereign God.

Through the miraculous, Jesus established the fact of His Deity in the hearts and minds of His Disciples.  The storm and His authority over it came early in their relationship with God in the flesh.

The Disciples had just heard the words of life Jesus spoke in what we call, the "Sermon on the Mount".  The Disciples had been eye witnesses to His healings, yet, now, when their own lives seemed about to be altered in a dramatic and devastating way, the One they hoped to be "Messiah" was sound asleep.

Isn't it funny how we can trust the Lord in someone else's life, but then fail to trust Him when the trial touches our own.

The strong winds, the thunder, the lightening, the loss of power during the twi-light hours of last night brought all the natural elements of this life's vulnerability to a head.  The storm was symbolic and this morning, the threats hit my mind like waves upon the boat that the Disciples were in that night long ago.  I found my own self wondering, "Jesus, are you asleep?"

The soft voice of the Holy One falls gently upon my ears, "I will never leave you.  You are safe with Me. Just trust Me".  His peace reminds me that storms will come and storms will go.  The Holy One speaks and I must listen.

All the provisions were made for the Disciples to arrive safely at their appointed destination and the same is true for me.  I know that life is not so much about the storms that hit but about the way I choose to go through them. 

The One who oversees each of life's storms, is the very One who captains my boat.  I must trust my temporal life here, to Him, in the same way I trust Him with my eternal life hereafter.

 Maybe someday He will teach me how to "rebuke the winds and the waves".  But until then, I will continue to trust Him to do it.

The Holy Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...