Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Follow the Ark

The Spirit has led me to the account of the Israelites crossing the Jordan in Joshua 3. Under their new leader, Joshua,the Lord commanded the people to follow the Ark of the Covenant through the Jordan River. As I read the account, I noticed some interesting things.

For those of us who don't always know where they are going, I was comforted when the Lord told the people to move out from their positions and follow the Ark...because "then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before." (vs 4) Life seems to get more confusing and chaotic every day. How wonderful to be able to trust the Sovereign God to lead us. His view takes on all time from beginning to end. He knows every turn in the road, every rock, boulder, or pit that lies in our path. Who better to trust when we cannot always see what lies ahead. Not only is it His blessing to lead us..it is His command that we follow.

The other interesting thing is the next sentence.."but keep a distance of about a thousand yards between you and the Ark; do not go near it." As I was pondering the distance they were to keep, thinking about the reverence and respect issue, the Lord spoke to my heart and said, "stop bum rushing the Ark...you give me no room to work." Then I realized that the Lord wants us to give Him room and time to bring other things into each situation that we know nothing about. We get impatient with His pace, we start to run ahead of His timing and suddenly we realized we just passed something important if we see it at all. I have recently seen this principle work out over and over as "my agenda" gets interrupted by His plan.

When Jesus walked among us, there was no stress to His gait...no apparent urgency to His pace. He took each situation that came and just squeezed out all this wonderful resolution or lesson that the situation contained. How much more peaceful and productive would our lives be if we just follow Him and give Him room to work out His amazing plan? I'm ready to follow.....how about you?

The Spirit is calling. Can you Hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...