Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Sword

The Spirit calls and I hear the Words of my Savior, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. A man's enemies will be members of his own household."

The days are growing darker and these Words of our Lord, while spoken so long ago, have great meaning to me today as I see the breakdown of our families. But what exactly are we to think and do as the "sword" of Christ divides our time honored relationships we are taught to respect and in many cases defer to?

What are we to do when the desires of those we love demand that loyalty to our Savior be compromised? The compromised life comes upon us so subtly. Never has the counsel of the Holy Spirit been more urgent in guiding us through the earthly mine field that we find in our personal relationships. I find great comfort in the Words of my Savior even while reeling under their sobering implications because they explain a lot and give me hope.

"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. Anyone who loves their son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And anyone who does not take up his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me."

We are called to be Disciples of Christ. The life of the Disciple must follow the Teacher no matter where He leads even into the jaws of death. The Sword and the Cross are symbols of war and death.

The Sword of Christ pierces the darkness of the soul and the "Prince of Peace" brings conflict.
The Cross of Christ crucifies the old man and brings death to the natural affinities we have lived to protect.

The Sword of Christ is set to divide the natural family in order to make the Spiritual family predominant. Even Jesus faced the earthly issue in Matt 12:48 and modelled the heavenly attitude we are to maintain. When told that His mother and brothers were waiting outside a meeting place to speak to Him, Jesus said, "who is my mother and who are my brothers?" Pointing to His Disciples He said, "Here are My mother and My brothers, for whoever does the Will of My Father in Heaven is My brother and sister and mother".

As painful as the sword of Christ may be in the dividing of our earthly love relationships how much more sorrow will be ours if those we love never come to the saving knowledge of the Savior of the world. Earthly separation is temporal, eternal separation is forever.

The stakes are high and loyalty to our Savior is the only hope for the unsaved world around us. The Sword gives us great opportunity to speak and live out our faith. "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." I Peter 3:15.

Let us take up our Cross daily and allow the Sword of Christ to have it's perfect result.

The Spirit is calling. Can you hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...