Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Patience In The Process

The Spirit calls to me this morning. A strategic victory has been won and a long standing prayer answered.  The Spirit reminds me that even in the rejoicing over a great battle won, the work must continue until the last day and the Lord Himself returns for us. "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it."  Phil 1:6  "Do not grow weary in doing good."  Gal 6:9

His words help me to realize that the moment of great victory in a battle fought and won pass quickly and are to be savored and celebrated, yet are not the end.  Once saved, the battles we face are part of the process.  The ultimate goal is to bring each one of us into the conforming image of Christ Jesus Himself and bring Glory to God in the transformation.

The Spirit calls me to look back over my life and trials.  In each one, the pattern was similar:

The trial hits.  Shock and confusion permeates my heart and mind, the heat turns up, the questions swirl.  God, where are you?  God, why is this happening?  God, what do I do?

But the trial continues.  No quick fix comes.  I gain my footing and get up.  I know myself well enough to understand, it is not by my own strength that I find a place to stand.  It is the Lord Himself who has begun to lift me up.

But the trial continues.  Battle lines are drawn, the enemy of my soul keeps the arrows coming.  Relentlessly he assaults me. God's Word and His promises are my only comfort.  Thanksgiving comes out of the storm for this place of relief.

But the trial continues. Faith, hope, trust, love are all challenged from within my mind,  Even the promises I hold onto seem like dandelions in the wind, blown and scattered.

Then the Holy One finds my ear.  He takes me to the one verse that has helped me weather trials in times past.  Isaiah 54:16.  A familiar friend speaks, "See, it is I who have created the blacksmith who fans the coals into a flame and forges a weapon fit for it's work.  And it is I who have created the destroyer to work havoc."

Out of context, and all alone, this verse would seem to paint my loving Creator as a cruel and heartless Being, bent on my destruction, sending the enemy on a search and destroy mission against me.  And, the evil one wants me to stop right here in my thinking and understanding of why I am suffering.  The enemy tries to use this scripture to discourage me. For it is, after all, the Word of God.

But as I read on, the hope comes, "no weapon forged against you will prosper.  You will refute every tongue that accuses you.  This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their vindication is from Me, declares the Lord".

I am reminded that each struggle, each trial, each battle, each heartache has a purpose and a point know to the One who created my inmost being.  I am a work in process.  I was not born in the image I was destined to have.  Changes need to take place.

Resolution of my trial is not the end goal.  Transformation of my heart and mind is.  The trial is only a means through which the Holy Spirit of Christ can work me into His image.  The "battle"  for me, is the place of perspective, where I must choose priorities and decide what is worth fighting and dying for.

For me, the battle must be fought for the Holiness and Righteousness and Honor of my Heavenly Father, and for the Glory of my King Jesus. 

The trials of life will continue.  Battles will be fought and won.  But the end comes when the King comes.  Until that day, we will continue to be in the process of refinement, in the process of being transformed into the likeness of the King Himself. 

He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...