Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Power of Worship

The Holy One calls me this morning and I find that He has placed a song in my heart. This is odd for me since  I have no great voice for singing and  since the trials of my life weigh so heavy upon me.  But there is  song...and it is worship.  A little off key and not too melodious in expression, yet a song none-the-less.


The Holy One has over and over taken me through the battles I face, to the great battle Jehoshaphat was facing in 2 Chron 20.  Spoken by the Spirit through a Levite in the great assembly, the Lord told King  Jehoshaphat and all who lived in Judah and Jerusalem, "Do not be afraid nor discouraged because of this vast army.  For the battle is not yours but God's."  He went on to describe the Lord's directive, "tomorrow march down against them."  He told them where the enemy would be.  He affirmed that they would not have to fight this battle.  He told them, "take up your positions and stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you.  Don't be afraid, don't be discouraged, go out and face them and the Lord will be with you."


So convinced of the Lord's promise of victory, King Jehoshaphat declared to the people the success that their faith and God's Word would bring.  After consulting with the people, it was decided to appoint men to sing praise and worship the Lord for the "Splendor of His Holiness."  Those worshipers went out at the head of the army, singing "give thanks to the Lord for His love endures forever."

What a unique strategy for battle, sending men out at the head of the fighting men, armed with praise and worship to the Holy One.  Arms lifted up, not in defense but held high in praise.

When facing such a potential for destruction and even annihilation, how amazing that the people were, given over to praise and  given victory without a sword leaving it's sheathe.

The scripture says that while God's people began to sing and praise Him, the Lord set ambushes against the 3 (not just 1) armies coming against His people.  The Holy One has shown me a great weapon in the war, a powerful weapon with which to enter a "battle" against evil and that powerful weapon is worship

The song He has placed in my heart will grow and become a symphony of praise.  Prayerfully my voice will improve through use, but the most overwhelming point He has made to me today is that worship and praise belong to the One who calls me to battle for His Honor and His Kingdom.

As a battle strategy,  the praise of God's people was simultaneous  to the Lord setting ambushes for the enemy's armies, all of them.  Praise keeps our eyes on the Splendor of His Holiness and off the threats that the enemies of our life are trying to impose.

Praise is our labor of love while God does what we cannot.

Praise is a hard thing to remember to do when it seems that evil is compressing us from all sides.  But praise and worship is the one thing that can catapult us out of our despair and into the very Presence of the One who holds all things in his loving and capable hands.

Expending my energy in praise and worship while God fights the battle, is an amazing strategy for victory.  I am so thankful that He has taken me to this place. 

Our God is worthy of all our praise, just because of Who He is, but then to realize that our praise to Him defeats the dark forces arrayed against us makes for a double portion of delight. 

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."  Psalm 37:4  No wonder there is a song in my heart......

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...