Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Day Of The Small Things*

The Holy One calls to me this morning.  In this season of my life, traditional holidays are changing as they should with my children all grown up with families of their own.  I stalled this season for almost an entire generation having raised 2 sets of children 17 years apart, yet nothing stops the advance of time.

The seasons come and the seasons go.  Years pass quickly and memories are like a glue that holds our hearts and our lives together even as some are taken away from our gatherings until a reunion at a point in eternity future. This season is different but holds its own delightful purpose and I long to find and squeeze out all the goodness from each new day and celebration that comes.

This morning the Holy One calls me out of my sleep with His peaceful reminder, "This is your season of observation and growth."    Being an observer involves a lot of remorse for my past flesh mistakes as self analysis exposes the deep chasm between the desire to be Holy and the reality of my own failures to perform.  When He puts together observation and growth I cannot help but be intrigued for what the new season holds.  Thoughts begin to cascade through my mind.

But then, My Holy Counselor enters into my self-conversation and adds more clarity. "Sanctification is hard work isn't it?  But you must always remember I hold the plumb line.  Do not despise the day of the small things".   And with that, He takes me back to His Word in Zechariah.

I have such a fondness for this book written by the prophet, Zechariah because it involves another great conversation in the realm beyond our view.  Zechariah was given a vision like in the book of Job, where in the beginning, there is a  behind the scene look at the spirit realm that is impacting our temporal lives here on earth. 

In the account of Job's life, Satan, the accuser of all of us is taking a shot at Job's integrity and asking God's permission to test it.  In Job's life, God  said confidently to the devil, "Very well then, everything he has in in your hands but on the man himself do not lay a finger". Job 1:12 NIV.

In Zechariah 3:1, a similar scenario is taking place involving the High Priest named Joshua and the ancient accuser Satan.  But in this passage of scripture, God rebuked Satan, effectively denying him permission to assault Joshua who was the focus of his evil agenda.   In Zechariah 3:2, "The Lord said to Satan, "The Lord rebuke you Satan!  The Lord who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this man not a burning stick snatched from the fire?"

With that comes a form of hope and comfort knowing that God drew the line around the man/Priest Joshua. The Lord rebuked Satan who stood ready to hurl accusations about this priest at the Lord just like he did hurl them about Job.  I appreciate it when the Lord tells the devil "NO!" 

Zechariah, the prophet, had been given a vision for the people of the day and even the age to come.  I read on in Zechariah 4 and learn about a governor of Israel named Zerubbabel.   Zechariah 4:8 reads, "Then the word of the Lord came to me, (said the prophet) "The hands of Zerubabbel have laid the foundation of this temple.  His hands will also complete it.  Then you will know the Lord almighty has sent me to you.  Who despises the day of the small things?  Men will rejoice when they see the plumb line in the hands of Zerubabbel".   

These words regarding this earthly Governor helps me see the Holy Spirit as my Heavenly one. The Holy Spirit is my Governor, the plumb line is in His hands.  I am the temple He is erecting as the dwelling place of my God and King: Jesus.

It is easy to get impatient in the process of sanctification.  It is easy to despise the day of the small things.  It is easy to forget that the Lord has eternity as His time table.  And it is easy to miss the most important principles in the process.

The conversation deepens as the Holy One calls me to listen:  "Beware of the flesh bricks you are trying to place on My foundation.  All your "good works" mixed out of your flesh are like uncured bricks and will shrink or crumble with time and adversity". 

I see the picture of much of my life but also the church today.  The Holy Spirit layed the foundation who is Christ Himself, then WE set out to build it up in our flesh with "works".  Brick by flesh brick, we erected the church.  We set up programs and classes.  We took in tithes to build great halls and make big parking lots for easy access.  We did good things to build it but strayed from the Master Builder and followed our own blueprint not His. 

When inside the building, it is hard to see that the cosmetic things merely cover the fact that the building is flimsy and the winds of adversity will cause it to collapse.  The personal application of today's conference answers a few of my deepest questions and has to do with all the "great" things I started over my lifetime but found them blown away in the distractions and busy-ness of life here on earth

Most all my "great" ideas of things I wanted to do for my Lord were limited to a flesh ability and human agenda.   It has taken a lot of earth years to realize that what Jesus said is true, "Apart from Me, you can do nothing".  The mystery of the Holy One does not always permit answers but He never fails to provide clues for deeper understanding of our Sacred Romance.

The picture of flesh bricks and uncured mortar explains why in His erection of my temple, He has to undo some of those things I  stacked up on His foundation.  "Do not despise the day of the small things" reminds me to slow my roll.  Building this temple in such a way that will bring glory to the Lord is a slow and pain staking process and I realize now as The Holy One holds the plumb line that each layer of Holiness must be true to Him.. 

And as to the Church of the Living God, I see how my personal progress will affect the corporate Body of Christ.  I am to be a Holy brick in that building and if I am only offering myself as a flesh brick, that too will crumble with time.

Observation has brought remorse and with that comes a greater awareness.  Awareness permits me to change what is out of sync with Holiness.  Today I am convicted to pay close attention to the small things, and to do those things well.  But also to check often with the Holy Spirit who holds the plumb line in me His Holy Temple. 

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?    


         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...