Friday, January 6, 2012

2012: Peace????

The Holy One calls me this morning.  So many subjects to discuss with the God of all Creation. There is literally no end to the myriad of things He might bring to my attention.  I guess that is what makes Him the most exhilarating conversationalist ever. 

Today is a mentally meandering day.  It's the beginning of a new year, with endless possibilities.  Right out of the starting gate is news of our Ethiopian grandson and the amazing piece he represents to the picture of our global family.  A beautiful start of wonderful things to come.

The last three years, however,  began with heartburn, as the warfare was skin to skin, too close to not be injured in the battle.  But looking back, the Holy One reminded me that He never left me.  For all that has been scorched in our life, there was a shield of protection, a promise kept that somehow against all the apparent odds things did and will work together for our eternal good. 

These were not easy things.  Not easy to experience, not easy to get through, not easy to understand...

BUT GOD.......WAS THERE......IS HERE.......ALWAYS.......

The Holy One speaks to my heart.  He has me think about the speakers I heard on the T.V. a few days ago as the the New Year was kicking off.  Each brought  their brand of hope for the New Year.  They seem to have the message of "peace" and tried to justify it in different ways with really flimsy evidence.  The power of positive thinking is a really great philosophy until you realize it doesn't work.  Pollyanna was a delightful child but in real life there is real pain.

Who would stand up to contradict these spokesmen for peace.  Why rain on their parade or the parade of millions of people who are  desperately looking for "peace" and hope unless you recognize the pattern.

Spoken through the prophets of old, The Holy One takes me to His Word.  Jeremiah 6:14, "From the least to the greatest all are greedy for gain, prophets and priests alike all practice deceit.  They dress the wounds of my people as if it were not serious. "Peace, Peace", they say when there is no peace."

This Scripture exposes the anger in the heart of the God of the Universe against the idolatry being committed in worship of the "Queen of Heaven".  In the history of God's people there was a woman who symbolized this demon principality and her name was "Jezebel".

Looking at her claim to fame, she was credited for leading God's people into idolatry and the worship of foreign gods.  In Jeremiah's day, they were declaring peace while rebelling against their God and duality of worship was the offense.  Claiming to be God's people, they danced around the altars and asherol poles devoted to pagan gods.

I guess I might be able to find comfort in the thought that I do not go into temples erected to foreign gods, but Holiness asks me to ponder what altars do I bow before in my heart and mind?  What deities exist that have priority over the Savior of your soul?

The Holy One stops my heart on these deep and penetrating questions.  Psalm 139:23, "search me Oh God and know my heart.  Test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting."

The Holy One brings me to my knees yet again.  But then I see that it is here, in His Presence, under His scrutiny, that real peace is found.

The spokesmen of the other day pointed to the idol of human ingenuity and capability in of of itself suggesting that somehow peace will come from finding it's own fix.  Or the seductive comfort that "God wants us happy" in spite of our rebellion and sin. Somehow the prophets and priests spoke of a "peace" without repentance.  They alluded to a euphoria that cannot be found outside a personal relationship with the Savior of our soul, Jesus Christ, the only Source of true peace.

Living in an open relationship with the Holy One, who has and takes liberty to correct me, I find that amazing peace knowing things are right between us.  He will expose what grieves Him and then give His courage and strength to overcome the offense.

I am thankful to be reminded that peace is not dependent upon my circumstances, but rather it is found to be dependent upon the One who absolutely controls them.  "Jesus said in John 14:27, "My peace I give you, not as the word gives.  Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid".

The Holy One tells me, "Yes, it is going to be a good year, not because of earthly pleasures, but because I promise I will never leave you nor forsake you and that I will be with you always."

Now that is the true peace that passes all understanding.

The Spirit is calling.  Can you Hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...