Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Desires of Your Heart

The Holy Spirit calls to me this morning.  "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart".  He is quoting Psalm 37:4 to me.  What an amazing promise and I cannot wait for our morning meeting to unfold.

I come armed with my "wants" and since I know how much I delight in Him, this invitation and promise confirms that this is going to be a wonderful day.

The Holy One speaks again, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."  I wonder what about that verse needs more and deeper thought?  As I ponder, my mind gets a kind of a "red flag".

What if my desire is a pink Cadillac?  Will the Lord send one my way?  What if my desire is something at cross purpose with His will for me?  Will I get it?

I think about the operating words, "delight yourself" in the Lord.  The thinking becomes a little more narrow and I sit and ponder if perhaps that is a qualifier.  How much delight is enough to hone my desire into being eligible for the fulfillment of this promise?

The debate continues.

I repeat again that verse and then the light goes on.  Oh, so that's what You are trying to show me.  I see a big smile cross His face as I begin to comprehend.

Once again the Holy One takes me back to His verse with this understanding:

As I delight myself in the Lord, sit at His feet, relish my relationship, He is about the business of giving me "the" desires.   Not as I had assumed that He was giving me,  I.E. those desires I conjured up in my mind and  misidentified as being from  my heart.  But more basically, He will give me "desire" itself.

Gone are all the thoughts of having to wrestle out how much delight is enough.  Gone are all the "things" that I might gain in the fulfillment of the promise.  Gone is the guilt over whether or not my desires are good and worthy of having them given.  Holiness has just clarified the entire issue for me.

As I delight myself in the Lord He will take over and place proper desire within my heart.  In a sense the Lord will place within my heart His desires for me to desire.  My desires will line up with His will because He is the One who will deliver desire into my heart.

What an amazing new perspective of that often quoted scripture and promise.  Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you (form up, place within, create in your being) the (very) desires (that are to be) of your heart.

I want to desire the right things.  What a relief to know that, by His Holy Spirit within, I will have the "desires" the Lord has for me as the desires of my heart.  I will have those things He has set up to be given me and I can know that they are the desire of my heart and His.

As I delight myself in the Lord and the relationship we have together, I can be confident about what I desire and assured that those things will be given.

Even now as I ponder this great Truth, I realize that above all things, He is the overwhelming desire of my heart.

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...