Saturday, January 14, 2012

Comfort for the Lord's Grieving Heart****

The Holy One calls to me this morning.  Life is like a roller coaster ride while wearing a blindfold.  I feel but I can't really see the track or trajectory of my car.  There is the steep climb, the tippy top of a mountain, the sense of free fall and the jerk of finding the bottom, waiting for my heart and breath to catch up to my body.

These days the pace is so fast I can barely process one round on life's roller coaster before I am brought speedily into another.  The Holy One broke into my visual with sobering words, "you are speeding toward eternity. The time and pace will get shorter and faster".  And He says, "the distractions will be greater and greater that separate people from the Truth."

The grief in His heart is so apparent to me, yet I feel helpless to bring  my Lord any comfort.

It is here, that I begin to realize the depths of His sorrow.  I constantly bring my thoughts, my feelings, my hurts, my pains, my sorrows to Him without understanding that through my heart and mind, these sorrows are His and yet they are multiplied out over all the days and countless numbers of lives He has claimed and lost over all the generations of man.

The fact that God established free will does not lessen His sorrow when men and women take it and reject the One who gave them the freedom in the first place.

The Holy One speaks, "you can and do bring comfort to the Lord's grieving heart".  He tells me that "when Jesus walked the earth, He was confined to one place in a physical body that could only influence a small group of  people.  Only the people He met in person or touched with His hands or who heard His powerful words spoken were impacted by His life while He was constrained to a physical body.  This is why He had to leave earth."

He paid the price for sin that separates us from a Holy God, but in an outrageous plan to truly unify us with Himself,  He sent His Holy Spirit  to indwell our person, to unify us with Him in an unexplainable and mysterious way.

Now the Lord can influence the masses because believers, infused with His Spirit carry His life within to be lived out, complete with the ability to touch and heal and speak powerful word to convict the hearts of people everywhere as to the truth of the Gospel and the salvation it brings.  Now, by the outrageous outpouring of His Holy Spirit, Jesus has many, many bodies He can use to touch the world of men, and thereby draw people unto Himself.

Talk about mass media.  Every believer is a walking, talking billboard of their unique testimony of God's love and their personal relationship with Jesus.  Each one of us who calls Jesus, our Savior and our Lord is a representation of His life to our world.  We bring comfort to the Lord's grieving heart when we allow His Spirit to touch other's through us.  So how does my life read?

John 15:8, Jesus said, "I am the Vine and you are the branches.  If a man remains in Me and I in Him, he will bear much fruit;  apart from Me you can do nothing."  Jesus said this before departing earth to set the stage for the phenomenon that was to follow His Resurrection and Ascension:  the sending of the Holy Spirit into the being of the obedient servant.  John 14:15, "If you love Me, you will obey what I command and I will ask the Father and He will send you another Counselor, the Spirit of Truth who will be with you forever."

This reality of His indwelling Presence is the only way we humans can actually be and represent His life.  The day of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit came, is the only explanation and reason as to how and why His words make sense, "apart from Me you can do nothing" spoken when He was poised to leave.  "I will not leave you as orphans, but I will come to you".  I'm guessing that those words were mightily confusing to the Disciples before the day of Pentecost. 

Now we recognize that by leaving the physical realm and sending His Spirit to take up residency in the being of true believers, Jesus' legacy is being lived out in the world generation after generation.  As we yield to His Spirit and surrender to His life, we identify with His grief for the lost and He uses us to draw them unto Himself.  By and through His Spirit alone do we have the power to live a Holy life as He did, representing God to a lost and dying world, being a conduit of His life changing works.  "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and be Holy: without Holiness no one will see the Lord"   Hebrews 12:14

His plan is ingenious, but it requires our co-operation.  Are we willing to allow Him to control our days and times and appointments?  Or are we too stuck on our own life goals. Are we willing to sacrifice our agenda to live out His?

Eternity is drawing close for all of us.  The end of life as we know it today.  Time is short for us to be the physical dwelling places of the Holy One whose Presence can  impact the world and final destination point of people the Lord died to save.

Will we be a source of comfort to the Lord's grieving heart? 

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...