Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Friendship of Holiness*

The Holy One calls me this morning.  I never really know where we will end up when the thoughts we share start to roll.  Life with the Spirit is more like a slow meandering than a time-measured straight-away.

I am thankful for His exceeding and endless patience. He knows my thoughts and the way I process His wisdom.  He reminds me often that His timetable is eternity not like the clock and calendar we humans always seem to prioritize.  I am resisting the urge to get to some point when I realize friendship has no point to make or teach it is just to experience.

I cannot stop thinking about the onset of winter, and the season of life I have just entered.  The darkness outside, the cold blustery winds, the leaves blowing away and the nakedness of the land that a few weeks ago was lush and green.

Then my Friend asks a hard question, "If everything were taken away, would My friendship be enough for you?" 

All of us on planet earth are experiencing losses, some more than others.   Each one of us is facing something that represents a "winter" season, challenging to our faith and the fears run high.

The Holy One takes me back to His Word to show me that faith challenges are nothing new.  John 6 begins with the account of the miracle where Jesus multiplied loaves and fish to feed the multitude of 5000 + people.  His point to His followers was to teach them that He is the bread of life, our sustenance and He is all we need.

With that as a backdrop, and proof that He is God, John 6:66 says that from this time,  "many of  His Disciples turned back and no longer followed Him".  He even asked the intimate twelve, "You do not want to leave Me too, do you?"

The question and reaction stems from a faith crisis that can crop up when life doesn't go the way we think it should.  A faith crisis when God doesn't do what we ask or fails to deliver an answer in the way we expect.  A faith crisis when His teaching gets tough and requires us to change our long and tightly held traditions.

I have faced a lot of winters in the course of my life.  This is the 65th one in earth years.  The one thing I know from experience is that it will pass.  The springtime will come again, and Hope will come with it.  The promise of the Holy One stands, "I will never leave you nor forsake you".  Joshua 1:5 and Hebrews 13:5.

If we wonder why these powerful, profound and comforting words were recorded for us to read and remember, it must be because the Lord knows His people will have to face days like today, when all we thought we could depend on in this world evaporates and His friendship is all that is left.

He repeats the question to my heart, "If everything were taken away, would My friendship be enough for you?"

I look outside.  The new day is beginning to dawn.  The clouds still cover the earth, but the warm Presence of Holiness fills my heart.  In answer to His question, I, like Peter, am compelled to say, "Lord, to whom shall we (I) go?  You have the words of eternal life".  And I must thankfully add, "Yes, yes, yes, Your friendship is more than enough for me."

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...