Monday, July 1, 2013

Be Still

The Holy One calls me this morning.  The power is out.....again. This Spring season has brought more thunderstorms and power outages than any I have experienced since moving to my new land.

Sitting alone in the dark this morning before seeing the sun come up to chase it away is very symbolic to me.  The Holy One is ever present so the alone for me isn't really "alone" but without human companionship the quiet can be quite deafening.

Being without power on my land means no lights, no phones, no computers, even no water as the well pump runs on electricity.  In the city, life is still moving forward with gas, backup generators, and fix-it crews, but here it's a time to just "Be still".

The Holy One speaks into the darkness with His Word, "Be still and know that I am God".  Psalm 46:10.  Today, I  realize that in the fast paced life I live, I am not so comfortable in the abject stillness.

The Lord has arranged this time for me to process and ponder the "moment".  He has arranged for the normal "distractions" to be silent.  I think about how our trials are like being without power, and the bigger challenge, when we are hemmed in and out of "control", is to "Be still and know that I am God".

The day is coming when all the wonderful technology of man will be silenced. There is a time when the entire universe will stop and we will stand before our Creator God.  There will be none to call.  No one to Face Book, no one to run to, silence all around.....Just me and God.

For some the thought of no technology or "white noise" is a form of Hell.  Add to the silence, total isolation and that is a true picture of eternity without the Light of Life.  We were created to be relational.  Our true relational being and fulfillment starts and ends with our Creator, through His One and only Son, Jesus.

God, as the Father, is available today to all of us in relationship.  The Son was sent to rescue us from the dark and lonely place of separation and isolation from our Creator and "Daddy", yet we are busy  ignoring the One who is calling us and thereby, missing out on the wonder and peace of that comforting relationship.   

We can see our "trials" in life as due to misfortune, or a screw-up/failure or even a cruel joke by the powers that be.  But what if our trials are designed to sit us down in relational dependency, where God becomes for us the Reality that He is:  Our relational community and our power source for all of life both temporal and eternal.

We cannot fix ourselves no matter how gifted we are or how hard we try.  But in every hard place we find ourselves, God has a purpose.  Today in the silence I know my Lord wants my undivided attention. I am thankful that this trial is simply a few hours with no earthly distractions.

But the question is, "Will I remember this on another day in another trial when the "no power" issue may hit home?  Will I "Be still" and know that He is God if other relationships get strained or my work gets frustrated or my agenda gets cancelled?

The Holy One is calling all of us to participate in the priceless fellowship and community of the Trinity.  Out of that primary and secure relationship comes all the other important ones and the power to do all we feel called to do.  The sweet familiarity we gain with our Abba Father here, relieves the fear of the future when we will be called into His Presence and it's "just us".

Interestingly, as I pen these last words, the power has been restored and I can move on with the day.  I praise the Lord for His graphic picture of today's important lesson.
 
But I think I'll  "Be still" for just a little longer and enjoy the sweet fellowship with my Lord.

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...