Monday, July 15, 2013

What IS Victory?

The Holy One calls to me this morning.  His word is firm.  He says it strong as if this is a very important piece to "our" strategy in the vexing issues of "our" life together.

His word is like a banner in the dark sky etched in flames:
 
"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed"  Provb. 16:3
 
I have read this verse before, but today it takes on an unforgettable meaning for my heart and mind. 
 
When I first came to the Lord for rescue, I was like a drowning person going down for the third time.  His strong Gospel message of God's love as opposed to His wrath was a welcome relief and I surrendered myself to the Truth:  That the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ was all for me.
 
Jesus became my Savior and I surrendered to His Lordship over my life.  Phase one completed, I moved on to a different lifestyle and focus. 
 
Phase 2 was, for me, the early lessons that salvation is not just my "get-out-of-jail-free" card or my "get-past-the-pearly-gates-and-enter-paradise-when-I-die" pass. 
 
Phase 2 was learning to live with my Savior; learning to see His influence over the battles I seemed to find myself fighting by the day, season or event in my earthly life.
 
Our relationship has grown and grown, but not without hiccups, not without challenges, and not without a need to crucify my flesh like He did on the Cross.
 
Surrender has been a big word over the years, acknowledging His Sovereignty and yet fearing it,  as if it is not the absolute best thing for my life.  I have discovered much in this course of study the Holy One has arranged for this season of my life.
 
Things like the reality of my carnal self.  Jesus told us (who read and embrace His Word) , "Apart from Me you can do nothing".  John 15:5.  and yet, 'If you remain in Me and My word remains in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be done for you". 
 
For me to question that God's Sovereignty is sweet,  makes me realize that my mind is being impacted by my flesh or carnal thinking and "that" thinking is being impacted by the enemy of my soul. 
 
In other words,  my carnal mind and my carnal emotions simply cannot be trusted for they are still able to be manipulated by the ancient deceiver, who is a liar and a snake.
 
Begin phase 3 and today's "word" for me causes me to make a subtle but important distinction between "surrender" and "commit".  Both are volitional and an act of free will.  For me to commit, means that beyond surrendering to His great authority in my life, I consciously give Him charge and custody over everything, while trusting that He will take everything "committed" unto successful victory.
 
Commit is a pro-active description of His charge over that which has been committed, while surrender suggests giving up to a greater force than self.
 
"Commit" for me, is rich with the idea of co-governing in recognizing and realizing that even my "best" plan is outside of my ability to insure a victory or see it succeed.  Commit is trust at a higher level than surrender.  Surrender has a fear tucked inside that commit does not.  Even when our Lord surrendered to the Crucifixion of His body, He committed the plan for resurrection to the Holy Spirit, who brought that plan to successful victory.
 
Now, my life is "Christ within", "Vine life" as He calls it.  Surrender having been made complete, by taking up His lordship and government over my life, I can go on trusting that my desire and His Will are one in the same.
 
The first step toward any victory is to commit each and every thing that I find to do,  unto Him.  The plan will unfold and  bring me to experience true victory,which is His.  So what is "Victory", after all?  I understand now, that true "Victory" is not my will for me but rather His will for me and that by committing it all to Him, I will enjoy the blessing of success.   
 
"Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed".
 
The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?     


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...