Thursday, August 8, 2013

Facing Goliath

The Holy One calls me this morning. Goliath has challenged God's people and the Lord is calling some of His "Davids" to find their sling and gather their stones for a confrontation.

My family has many "Davids" drafted by the Lord to go up against the enemy's giants and the best that evil has to offer.  The Holy One calls me this morning to talk about one such David, and one such Goliath and one such evil challenge.

Over the course of my life I have found myself on that battlefield in the position of David facing off with those "Goliaths" and have testimonies of God's great victories as He supernaturally sent the stone into Goliath's brain.  Today with the battle raging against God's people, He has me re-read the Biblical account of David and Goliath as told in 2 Samuel 17.

The battles I fought in my early years of being called to confront evil were deeply personal.  My focus was on the audacity of the enemy to mock my God and King, Jesus the Christ. 

Soon after joining the ranks of the saved, I found what seemed to be the enemy's first line of attack: To discourage God's people through a "big mouthed" Goliath spewing out contempt for my new kingdom and King.  He attempted to assassinate my new faith through an attempt to assassinate my hope in the Lord's  power and authority in my life.

In the beginning it scared me but then as I saw the pattern of evil,  it made me mad.  The initial fear was understandable and natural since I was new to the relationship with the Lord God of all creation and didn't have experiences to draw from.  Trusting Him was a constant theme and life experiences grew out from there.

I found that the Lord my God was always faithful to me just like He was to David who got to know Him on a hillside, under the stars,  among some lowly sheep.  David grew in a personal knowledge of the Holy One as he confronted the threats that went with his assignment:  To protect the sheep. 

I have walked through impossible situations with incredible resolutions.  Each test became a testimony and I know why the Lord had the nation of Israel build altars at places where God gave them amazing victories as He moved among them.  These altars were an ever present reminder of a past victory where God moved in their behalf. 

While every challenge we face may be something new for us, the One who delivers is ancient and without number of days...always faithful...never changing.

David had no idea in those days what his ultimate future would look like.  But as the youngest in his clan, he took his job in the family seriously and used the time he had while tending the sheep, to search for and learn more about the God of all Creation.

God honors a searching heart and He honored David.

Fast forward to the day on the calendar where David, who had been living in the shadows, was thrust onto the bigger stage of life and death, honor and humiliation. The story of his victory over Goliath is epic.  One that we all can relate to.  It is the classic tale of our humanity and a "hero" complex that lies deep within every heart.

The Holy One speaks to me and offers another perspective of that story He wants me to see.  David walked out onto that field to defend the reputation of His God;  the One True God;  the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob:  the God he knew personally.

This contest with Goliath was ordained for him.  David had been prepared for this day.  Through out his young life trials, David gave credit where credit was due.  When David was questioned by King Saul, who was looking for someone with the courage to represent Israel and face the giant, Saul saw only the "boy".  But David's answer revealed the true heart of manly courage and the source of his strength.

He declared, "Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear;  this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them because he has defied the armies of the living God.  The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of the Philistine".

The Holy One speaks to my mother heart and confirms how well He knows the unspoken fears that lie within.  "You are the mother of 2nd generation "Davids".  Your children are facing their own Goliaths but I am the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  They will have victory just as I gave it to you".

The Lord is calling many Davids in this generation of the Body of Christ to fight the enemies of our Kingdom and our King.  Those enemies who are mocking the One True God.  Those enemies who, like this Philistine, are trying to take God's people captive and rule over The Lord's chosen ones.

Today the Holy One is showing me how important David's personal victory was for the entire nation of Israel.  While David's family (AKA his mom) may have had the most vested interest in him winning the fight with this giant, the Lord had a much bigger purpose in mind. 

Were it not for David's courage and strength and knowledge of His God to deliver, the entire nation of Israel would have been taken captive that day.  I look around and see how at every corner and every turn our faith in and knowledge of God is being mocked and challenged. Does it ever occur to you that your courage to face your Goliath may save others from captivity?

When evil mocks and we cower, darkness covers the land, and the knowledge of the one True God is lost to the next generation.  Many will refuse to confront the wickedness.  But victory is promised to the servants of the Holy One. 

The Lord reminds me that He works through the lives of His people.  If  David had not stepped onto that battlefield to confront the enemy, the Lord would not have been able to direct that "kill shot" to the brain of Israel's foe.  The battle truly does belong to the Lord but he expects His people to stand up for the Principles of His Word.  As we do that in a lost and dying world, The Lord's Name and renown can be Glorified.

In our modern world today, there are many opportunities to stand and fight against the enemies of our God.  To "pick" our battles does not mean that we never go to war.  This is a day on earth for raising up the banner of our Kingdom and our King.  This is the day for courage.  The truth of His Sovereignty must be told and unto that end we may find ourselves at risk. 

But Isaiah 35:3-4 promises, "Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way, say to those withe fearful hearts, be strong, do not fear; your God will come, He will come with vengeance and with Divine retribution, He will come to save you."

The question remains, "will we take the challenge and confront that "Goliath" for our Kingdom and our King?"

The Holy Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?






      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...