Friday, August 2, 2013

Marriage and the Power of Unity

The Holy One calls to me this morning.  Life with my Lord is never dull.  While deep trials mark my pathway, I know He is taking me to places of greater wisdom and understanding as we traverse this "Highway of Holiness" together.

The time in His Presence is so amazing to me.  The world around me may be swirling out of control but in His Presence there is peace. 

Today He talks to me about our unity and the importance of community.  This has been the topic of our early morning conferences over the last few months. He speaks without words to my heart and mind about unity with Him.  With the Holy Spirit, there is a communication beyond words, and many question just how the God of all creation might "speak" to a mortal. 

"Without words" is about all I can say.  When I surrender my thoughts and mind to Him, I am taken into a higher order of thoughts.  When I commit my dilemmas to Him, He opens my mind to see things from a different perspective.

God also speaks through His written Word.  Early in my walk, I decided that I wanted to know His Word and become a "Master" of His Word in my own life.  I didn't enter into a seminary or school because I was a wife, a mother and business partner to my late husband.  Time and responsibilities didn't permit an outside education, but I sat at the feet of My Jesus and by His Spirit, I learned.

I am still in His institution of "higher education", where the simple Truth is found amid all the chaos of life and the confusion set up by the enemy of my soul.  Today, as we talk about unity, the Holy One takes me to Matt 18:19 yet again.  Jesus said, "Again, I tell you that if 2 of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by My Father in Heaven".

This is just one of His endless promises that belong to His Beloved.   It is important to note the "context" of this promise.  Jesus was speaking to His Disciples, not the general population, and not the Pharisees.  His Disciples were men who embraced His teaching, and surrendered to His authority as they called Him, "Teacher", "Master" and "Lord".  This is important to understand because of the trust that "whatever you agree" to ask for,  comes out of a common bond of love for the Lord and the Promise Keeper.

If 2 agree to build a tower like "babel" unto the heavens, for a self-exalted empire, even if it is shaped like a "church", the "agreement" most likely will not receive the promise.  So, how do we know what to ask?  How do we know what to agree to?

God's written Word is His Will.  God's Will is always an appropriate place to start in agreement.

By way of example, Jeremiah 29:11 is a place where many believers can agree and often quote to each other.  But that verse follows Jeremiah 29:4-7.  This verse is a directive and very much a part of his written Will for us.  We are told to "pray for the peace and prosperity of the land of exile, "for if it prospers so will you". 

Can we first agree that the world is not our home and we are just passing through this earth realm which is for us a land of exile?  If we agree as to our current placement, we can move on to agree to ask the Lord for the peace and prosperity to flow out over the land of exile.  We can look forward to that being answered.  This is not "name it and claim it" for lustful fulfillment of things that would become idols.  The earth's greatest need is peace. (with God and each other) ...followed by provision to live life here.

For those who do not agree that the Bible is our life manual and a living Word for every life and generation , they will be stuck with just a historical view of God's Word, not applicable to today and therefore relegating them to a life of no hope.

However, if we agree that the promises are all ours in Christ Jesus, then we can go past the model prayer that says:

"Thy Kingdom come
Thy will be done
   On Earth as it is in Heaven".

and on to live that reality here, now, today, and so long as our feet are planted on this Earth.
As I ponder that great promise of power in unity, to ask and receive,  I am compelled to look at relationships where that can be most effective. When I read that promise, I have always seen it for "prayer partners" who are mostly unrelated saints, and those who come together for fellowship in community.

Today the Lord blows open the limited understanding I have had and points out to me, the place of greatest relational impact of that promise in the world.  That place is the basic relationship of two people upon which all society rests: the marriage of 1 man, and 1 woman under the Lordship of Christ.  The original benediction over the orignal pair was that they go forth and take dominion...rule...together...  to co-govern with God and each other.  Jesus' Word and promise reinstates that benediction.
 
I think about what might be accomplished according to God's Word and His Will if married people could come together in agreement over their relationships, their families, their ministries and more.  How much power could be wielded against the darkness in the world,  if the "marrieds" would come into agreement to declare God's Word over what is out of God's order.  How much healing would take place?  How much of God's great government would come to our churches and communities?  How much rebellion would be quenched,  poverty ended and divorces over ruled?
Evil orchestrates marital division because Satan knows the power of unity. 

We have the promise and the plan.  The power of unity is ours. The question is: will we wield it?

The Holy Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him? 


 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...