Friday, March 30, 2012

Work Out Your Salvation

The Holy One calls to me this morning.  A change of scenery and location for a few days is refreshing.  It is a great relief for me to realize this morning that the Holy One still calls to me and I can still hear Him, no matter where I lay my head.

Today, he calls to me to talk a little more about one of the biggest problems we face from within and from without in our faith walk.  His reminder is crisp and clean.  "You are to work OUT your salvation not work FOR your salvation." This comes on the heels of a rebuke for a "judgmental attitude" that was getting mixed up in my processing of circumstances and relational issues. 

Given the fact that we have an enemy who is relentless in bringing charges against us.  Given our flesh bodies that are so often "guilty as charged".  And given the struggle to do what is right in a world that is so wrong, His point is well taken.

Phil 2:12, "Continue to work our your salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you to will and act according to His good purpose.  Do everything without complaining or arguing so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God, without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the Word of Life.

I agree with the Word of God and where I find myself in a "crooked and depraved generation".  The Holy One is trying to help me see the difference between "working out" my salvation and "working for" it.  If I am saved through the Cross of Jesus and what He did, then why do I have this "life and death" perspective over what I see happening as the Holy Spirit is working out what has taken place within my heart?

Being made Holy, transformed by a decision I made at one point in my life, is a long process.  It involves effort on my part, as the Holy One within makes Himself at home in my heart.

On the day of my salvation I entered into a covenant with The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit.  The covenant is a two way contract.  I gave Him my life and He gave me His.  The Seal of the covenant is the indwelling Holy Spirit. His Presence within establishes His acceptance of my surrender.  The Lord took me at my word and He takes our covenant seriously.

It seems that many of us fail to grasp the covenant terms and conditions of our salvation, by and through the death our Savior died on the Cross.  We fail to comprehend that we "agreed"to surrender to the life of Christ within and we get really vexed when He begins the process of bringing us into the conforming image of our Lord. 

Our lack of understanding doesn't terminated the contract but it does cause us more unnecessary grief as we try to sort things out.  We look at our problems externally rather than assess what the Holy One is after internally.  Our lack of understanding, may even create a bend-the-rules (that we are obligated to live by) scenario and when we  suffer the consequences promised, we question in ways we wouldn't if we had read the fine print of our contract.

Personally I understand better, the scriptures He has placed before me, because the Holy One pointed out how my "arguing and complaining" has been more with Him and His ways than with people in my life.

The "process" after salvation can get confusing unless we understand that important distinction between working for something that hasn't yet happened and working out the evidence of what has already taken place.

To continue to hit the altar calls, after our salvation, thinking we are not saved is a serious problem with our faith and understanding of our covenant.  "For it is God who works in you to will and act according to His good purpose."

There is not one magical day on earth's calendar when our humanity will not be tempted or challenged against the Holy One within. But to doubt His Presence because we are tempted or even fail to follow His lead, is exactly what our enemy is after in our life.

To doubt your salvation is to be neutralized in the Lord's refining process.  To misunderstand the process will radically alter your life and usefulness.

To work our your salvation is to surrender and do the bidding of the Holy Spirit within, who works in us to will and act according to God's good purpose for our lives in Christ.  Rather than be defeated when issues arise that cause us to question our sanity and salvation, may we take it back to the Holy One for the wisdom, find out what He is after, and make the course corrections that will bring Him Glory.

It might be  a good thing to revisit our day of salvation and be reminded of our first Love.  Especially if we need to confess our misunderstanding of what it meant to Him.

The Spirit is calling.  Can you hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...