Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Conformed to His Image

The Spirit woke me this morning in a gentle but powerful way. The first thought that met me was a question, "Do you realize that to be conformed to the image of Christ Jesus is also to be conformed to His power and authority?"

When I consider what it means to be conformed to His likeness, realizing it is the Father's will for us (Romans 8:29), I usually see this conformation as a "painful" re-configuration of who I am. To be conformed to His image has been in my mind, at least, like being pressed against my nature and therefore in a sense, painful.

But the definition of "conform" means to bring into agreement, and that is not a painful term at all. It is our Father's will that we be brought into agreement with the likeness of His Son, and by the Holy Spirit this otherwise impossible agreement can be made with delight. As we agree, we change.

While I have been wrestling the issues of humility, gentleness, unconditional love, patience, kindness, faithfulness, self control, the Spirit just introduced the other side of His Glorious Image which is power and authority over the enemy and his works.

To be conformed to the likeness of our Savior and King is to radiate His powerful authority over evil no matter where it appears. We are to represent Him against the darkness of the times and to confront the evil in His powerful authority.

For many, we have not considered this aspect of being conformed to His likeness. We may have engaged in such a confrontation but without the true understanding that this is part of being conformed to His likeness and therefore lacked the confidence in our stand. We may have failed to recognize this other side of His Glorious image to which we are called to be in "agreement with".

Holy Spirit, please bring me into agreement and conform me into the complete image of my Christ Jesus.

The Spirit is calling. Can you hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...