Saturday, November 7, 2009

They Will Soar on Wings like Eagles!

The Spirit has a method of teaching me that involves pictures in my mind. I have always said, that, as a student, I am too dull to understand some things and I need the Lord to just draw me a picture.


God is faithful and will provide whatever we need to learn and go deeper into the Truth.


Much is going on in my life that, when viewed through the grid of self pity, almost looks like a punishment. So today the Spirit calls me to look at Hebrews 12:7, "endure hardship as discipline. God is treating you like sons" (and daughters).


That seems pretty clear and unequivocal but the Spirit knows the degree of guilt and self pity that can well up inside of me, taking a truth and tweaking it around. So He takes this opportunity to draw me a picture.


The visual I got is that of a fledgling eagle. Eagles are designed and meant to soar. But first their wings must become strong. The Spirit showed me that to strengthen my wings, the Lord has hung some rocks around my ankles, and if I keep trying to fly against the weight of the rocks, my wings will become strong.


"Endure hardship as discipline". Now I see that the "discipline" is not a punishment word due to anything I am doing wrong, but rather a training word:


Training an athlete goes through, training a scholar goes through, and training an eagle might go through. Training under weights designed to strengthen..the body, the mind, or the wings. In order for me soar to greater heights, the Lord has hung some rocks around my ankles.


Isaiah 40:31 says it best, "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."


I confess my focus and attention has been on removing the rocks rather than trying to fly. Hebrews 12 exhorts me to forget the "rocks" and work on the "wings"


The Spirit is calling. Can you hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humanity's Dominion

Lately intercession has called me to remember our role as the immortal image bearers of our Majestic Creator God.  The Holy One calls me to ...